High above the asphalt of Eighth Avenue, there is a sustainable habitat living atop the towers of Eighth Avenue Place. Together with the other green initiatives that make Eighth Avenue Place a LEED Certified structure, the 25,000 sq ft green roof is a major contributing factor to their environmental commitment, and the first of its kind on a commercial office highrise in Calgary.
Green roofs offer a number of hydrologic, atmospheric, thermal and social benefits for the building, people and surrounding environment:
Copyright © 2008 - 2023 EIGHTH AVENUE PLACE . All rights reserved.
- Increases energy efficiency
- Reduces the volume and speed of stormwater runoff
- Improves the quality of water that returns to the storm system and watersheds
- Reduces ambient air temperatures and increases humidity levels in the surrounding areas (reducing urban heat island effect)
- Filters and binds dust particles, filters airborne toxins to improve air quality
- Increases building roof membrane life by protecting the underlying components against degradation
- Absorbs external noise pollution